Swing Guitar

Dedicated to pre-bebop jazz guitar.

Friday, December 30, 2005

New Background, New Gear

So you might have noticed the new background image. That is Al Casey from the mid-40's playing with drummer Denzil Best. He appears to be playing a Epiphone Deluxe with a DeArmond FHC Guitar Mic.

Oh, and I was pretty bad on ebay the last couple of weeks. So I got two things: 1) a DeArmond FHC Guitar Mic - I'm guessing its mid-40's based on the black bakealite volume knob, and 2) an 1937 Gibson EH-150 amp - the earliest version with square corners all around and a 10" speaker.

And speaking of a 10" speaker, the one in the amp is shot! If anyone has any leads on getting a replacement 10" field coil speaker, let me know!!!

The guitar mic is really awesome. I was getting tired of an electric tone that was just too modern sounding, and I was considering the crazy step of getting another Eastman and putting a Charlie Christian pickup in it. I was also looking at the Kent Armstrong single coil pickup on archtop.com, or the Tom Short Western Swing Pickup. The problem for me, at least, was that the Tom Short could not be used with Bronze strings, and the Kent Armstrong needed to mounted to a pickguard. Moreover, I released that vintage gear gets vintage sounds a lot easier, and that it was the modern pickup that I didn't like in the first place.

The guitar mic is great - its gets that vintage sound because it is really vintage. Plus, I can move it from guitar to guitar really easily. I put flats on my 810CE so I could get a more vintage sound, and the guitar mic sounds great on it. Sometimes, however, I just want to bring one guitar to a gig, and in that case I can put the pick up on my 805.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on the new gear!

    I have a question. I see that you were looking for a pickup that you could use with bronze strings, but the DeArmond doesn't have adjustable pole pieces. I have a Rhythm Chief and the B and E strings are much louder through it than the others in a bronze set. Just wondering how that's working for you.

    Keep swingin',
    Jeff

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jonathan Stout said…

    It's balanced way better than the existing Kent Armstrong. I've been willing to put up with a little imbalance for a while, but the KA was really out of balance. There seems to be a bit more compression with the pickup so it smooths it out a bit. Yes, it's not quite perfect, but way better this way.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the thought of installing a Charlie Christian pickup is far from crazy. I'm amazed that modern-day makers neglect them as an option -- especially as 3 exacting versions are currently being (re)produced by a UK maker. Yes, they're expensive, but why settle on other options when this is the sound you're really after? Life is too short.
    Cheers,
    LT
    NYC

     

Post a Comment

<< Home