Swing Guitar

Dedicated to pre-bebop jazz guitar.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Rose Room

Here's that first new lesson, on the classic tune "Rose Room". This is an example of classic swing rhythm guitar and rhythm voicings. The chords don't move that fast, but there are a few variations included. Check out the time feel - 4 beat - "chunk-Chunk-chunk-Chunk" - 4 even beats with a slight accent on two and four.

I could do an extensive play by play, but most of what's going on are the standard 3-note voicings on the E, D and G strings. Put, here are the hghlights:
1) Looking at the Eb7 & F7 chords, notice the root on the A string, moving to the 5th on the E string. Thats a pretty standard variation. Although the bass player will be taking care of the low end, movement like that helps keep things interesting (at least for yourself).
2) Also, notice the walk down from the F7 & Eb7 chords to B7 & A7 respectively. It's a classic tritone substitution, although the only note being changed is the root, so it's not really a complex move.
3) The walk up from Ab7 to Db6 is pretty standard as well.
4) Also the walk down from Ab6 to F7 is pretty standard.
5) Finally, the four-note chords toward the end are another simple way to add some variation. Also, the're good for increasing volume in louder sections of tunes with out having to play a lot harder.

Rose Room - pdf
Rose Room - mp3

Give it try, and feel free to leave any questions.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back! Your blog became one of my favorites last year as I attempt to broaden my guitar horizons. I've had a lot of fun, and have made a little progress, with the new Eastman. When I read you were starting law school I assumed your postings would slow down. Congrats on getting through the first year. It's all downhill from here. "Rose Room" is great. I do have one question. Anything to know about fingering, or is it whatever works in context? For instance, on the Ab7 to Db6 run, I find myself making the Ab7 with my little finger on the G string, so I can keep it there all the way up, while my other fingers switch around. In other situations I'd use my third finger there. Is that a good way to operate, or am I developing bad habits?

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Jonathan Stout said…

    Thanks very much Bob. Much appreciated!

    As for the fingerings, I'll post a chord sheet with fingerings.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,
    A time saver>>>
    I wonder if it would be a better idea to just post the positions of the chords(using the roman numeral format)instead of the fingerings.

    Also, you may want to save time by simply stating which string your root note is on, for example: the first b flat 7 chord has its root of b flat, but which string? The root string usually determines the chord form.

    Thanks and welcome back,
    Chris

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger TARUN MAJUMDER said…

    Hi ,

    good and very helpful all aspiring jazz musicians especially guitarists.
    I like charlie Christians solo on this . I found it in http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/hansen/Charlie/solos/rose_f.htm .

    I am also very fond of jazz of swing era . Keen to know more about your project on jazz. keep in touch .

    greetings

    Tarun
    India
    tarunx@gmail.com

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, groovy page. Just letting you know the Rose Room pdf isn't working right now. I got it to work a few weeks ago and came back to print it, but now it says the page can't be found. Could you check this? Thanks.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The links appear to be dead now - shame...

     
  • At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good quality info. Lucky to me I came to your website not on purpose, but now I have bookmarked it. Moon Jams

     

Post a Comment

<< Home